Approved e-Learning course
10+ minutes course
This confined space risk assessment course creates awareness of the hazards associated with confined spaces, and the risk controls that can minimise the possibility of injuries, accidents, or deaths when working in them.
A confined space is an enclosed space in which a worker is at high risk of injury due to conditions such as lack of oxygen or the presence of hazardous materials. When working in such spaces some hazards, such as reduced oxygen level, remain undetectable.
A risk assessment must be performed before any work is undertaken in any confined space.
Why Confined Space Risk Assessment and Method Statement is Vital
According to the Health and Safety Executive, each year around 15 deaths occur in the UK while working in confined spaces. It is not surprising that many workers have a fear of confined spaces.
These accidents happen in a wide range of industries and occupations. This includes using complex plant and machinery, working underground, and working in storage vessels,
So, it is absolutely essential to put in place emergency procedures, and to create awareness among workers of confined space hazards and the precautions that should be taken.
Confined Spaces Regulations
Employers are legally responsible to protect workers from the risk of injuries and accidents in the workplaces, according to the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974. This makes employers responsible for ensuring the safety of employees working in confined spaces.
- Avoid entry to confined spaces by doing work outside the area
- If entry cannot be avoided, then follow a safe system of work and put in place sufficient emergency arrangements before initiating work activities.
Aims of The Risk Assessment for Confined Space Online Course
The aims of this online training course are as follows:
- To develop an understanding of the main hazards associated with confined spaces
- To create basic awareness of the risk assessment process to control confined space health hazards
This confined space course requires:
- No prior knowledge
- No certification requirement
Course Content – Confined Space Risk Assessment
The main focus of this e-learning course is on confined space risk assessment It specifically outlines:
- Identifying hazards
- Methods to control risk
Who is this Confined Space Risk Assessment Training Course for?
This online health and safety training course is tailored to meet the needs of anyone who might be required to work in confined spaces, as well as co-workers, employers, and managers of anyone who may be involved in confined space work. It will raise awareness of the risk and main requirements related to safe working in the Confined Spaces Regulations.
Learning Outcomes of Risk Assessment for Confined Space Course
The learning outcomes of this confined space risk assessment course include:
- Encouraging awareness of the types of confined space hazards and controls
- Coaching an understanding of the confined space equipment
- Enabling identification of the responsibilities of each confined space worker so as to ensure work safety
- Raising awareness of plans that exist, and the role of each worker in said plans, for making a safe exit from any hazardous confined space situation
- Fostering an understanding of ways to deal with emergency conditions
Benefits of Confined Space Training Online
Employees will be able to:
- Identify confined spaces
- Understand confined space hazards
- Perform risk-assessment before initiating work in a confined space
Employers will be able to:
- Comply with the Confined Spaces Regulations
- Ensure they are doing their part to protect the health and safety of their staff
Why Choose Human Focus Confined Space Training Online
The benefits of this online course include:
- IIRSM approved
- Compliant with latest health and safety legislation
- Easily accessible, enabling organisations to provide training anytime, anywhere
- Self-paced to support learners – the Human Focus learning management system (LMS) saves course progress for participants
- Engaging, using video and animation-based content to facilitate learning
- Thorough, providing the necessary knowledge about how to work safely in confined spaces
- Effective, using repetition and mini-quizzes to embed all of the concepts
Upon completion, each trainee will receive an IIRSM approved internationally recognised certificate.
Format: 100% online – learners can complete the course on a smartphone, tablet, PC, or Mac.
Course Duration: 10+ minutes
End of Course Knowledge Test
Employee understanding of the confined space safety course is evaluated via the End of Course Knowledge Test. The test is:
- 100% online
- Effective – helping learners to recall and retain vital information
- Recorded to demonstrate compliance
Frequently Asked Questions
What is a confined space?
A confined space is any space of an enclosed nature in which there exists risk of serious injury or death as a result of hazardous substances or dangerous conditions.
Confined spaces include storage tanks, silos, reaction vessels, enclosed drains, and sewers, as well as less obvious places such as open topped chambers, vats, and combustion chambers.
Are employers legally bound to protect workers working in confined spaces
Yes, the Confined Spaces Regulations set out employer responsibilities for protecting workers working in confined spaces.
How often is confined space refresher training required?
The validity period of confined space training differs from country to country because it is regulation-dependent. However, as is the case regarding many standards, workers are generally required to take a refresher course every two to three years.
What is the minimum oxygen level in a confined space?
According to safety product manufacturer Arco, the minimum oxygen level is 19.5% and the normal oxygen level is 20.9%.
What equipment is required to work in a confined space?
This will depend on the type of confined space being worked in. This may include non-sparking tools, special lighting, breathing apparatus, and air extraction and ventilation equipment.
Does this course educate trainees about confined space entry procedure?
Yes, the IIRSM approved confined space risk assessment course by Human Focus educates trainees about correct confined space entry procedures for safe working.
|Study length||10+ minutes|
|Approval body||IIRSM - International Institute of Risk & Safety Management|
|Target Audience||All Staff Members – Awareness level|
|Format||Interactive Video With End of Course Test Questions|
|Assessment||Online Multiple Choice Test|
|Certification||Online Certificate Issued Immediately On Course Completion|