This UKATA asbestos awareness training online makes trainees aware of the likelihood and potential consequences associated with exposure to asbestos fibres when they come into close contact with asbestos-containing materials (ACMs). The course also provides basic awareness highlighting the safety measures necessary to avoid exposure to asbestos at work and what to do when anyone accidentally come into contact with ACMs.
The Control of Asbestos Regulations 2012 requires that any worker who might accidentally come into contact with asbestos must receive awareness training. Gaining a UKATA asbestos awareness certificate is an industry-standard for demonstrating this compliance.
Human Focus is a leading provider of the UKATA asbestos awareness course that trains tens of thousands of workers every year in companies of all sizes and trades.
Important Note: This course is all about making you aware of the asbestos danger. It does not train to work with ACMs.
Asbestos awareness course price: £29.95 + VAT (Prices may vary depending on dates and on-going offers).
Objectives of UKATA Asbestos Awareness Training Online
This UKATA asbestos awareness course online will encourage the learners to:
- Increase awareness of the nature of asbestos and its properties
- Get familiar with types, uses, and occurrences of asbestos in older buildings
- Avoid asbestos exposure risks by undertaking work activities in a safe manner
- Understand the key aspects of asbestos legislations
- Understand the risk assessment process for avoiding asbestos danger before starting work activities
- Understand emergency procedures to follow when coming in close contact with asbestos-containing materials
UKATA Asbestos Awareness Training Content Structure
This UKATA asbestos awareness training course has five modules that cover the following elements:
Module 1 – Uses of Asbestos & Likely Locations of ACMs
- What is asbestos?
- The history of asbestos
- Types of asbestos
Module 2 – The Risks of Asbestos
- Uses of asbestos
- Where you might find asbestos
Module 3 – Entry Routes & Health Effects
- How asbestos affects your health
- Risks of asbestos fibre release
- Who is at risk?
Module 4 – Asbestos Legislation
- Asbestos-related legislation
- Role and responsibilities
- Asbestos surveys
Module 5 – Emergency Procedures
- Pre-work assessment
- Emergency procedures – What to do if you accidentally disturb ACMs
There is a short test at the end of each module. Trainees are required to pass this test to land on the next module. Hence, it is recommended that trainees take detailed notes of each module to complete the course successfully.
Who Should Take This Asbestos Awareness Course Online
This asbestos awareness UKATA e-Learning course is for all of those who might come into contact with asbestos, especially;
- Building surveyors
- Demolition workers
- Fire alarm installers
- Heating and ventilation engineers
- Maintenance workers
- Painting and decorators
- Shop fitters
- Telecommunications engineers
- Home Owners
- Building Owners
Benefits of UKATA Asbestos Awareness Training by Human Focus
Training delivery benefits for employees
- Short online training
- Course duration – Approximately 4 hours
- Available to every registered user anytime, anywhere
- Educates trainees about the nature and properties of asbestos and its effect on human health
- Educates about the types, uses, and possible occurrences of asbestos in buildings
- Educates trainees about the asbestos legislations about its control
- Key steps to reduce/eliminate asbestos exposure risks at work
- Educates how to perform a pre-work assessment process to avoid exposure to asbestos whilst working Educates about the suitable emergency procedures if anyone comes in unintentional contact with ACMs (Asbestos-containing materials)
- Greater flexibility – The trainee can start the asbestos awareness course immediately using a PC, laptop, or tablet
- Superior learning content – The Human Focus version uses high-quality video and animations, which offers an engaging learning experience
- Offers learning at trainee’s pace! Human Focus’ version of this asbestos awareness course online can be taken in bite-size chunks. It does not require trainees to complete it in one go. The online system automatically bookmarks the trainee’s progress and enable learning to be fitted in and around busy work schedules
- Section quizzes and end of course knowledge test to evaluate trainee learning from the course
- UKATA approved asbestos awareness certificate(s) for trainees on passing the course
Training delivery benefits for organisations
- Helps to comply with Control of Asbestos Regulations 2012
- Cut training costs – Use online technology to train your workers
- Enhance health and safety culture within the whole organisation
- Offers cost-effective e-Learning training – Discounts are also available for bulk orders
- Improves organisational credibility within the industry
Course Format of Asbestos Awareness Course Online
- Course Format: Online training that every registered trainee can take using a desktop computer, tablet, or laptop.
Note: UKATA stipulates that this asbestos awareness course must not be taken on a mobile phone.
- Course Duration: Approximately 4 hours
- UKATA approved course content
- Premium quality videos and animations
- End of module tests
- End of course knowledge test with UKATA approved certificate
The UKATA asbestos awareness online course has a running time of 3 – 4 hours. However, the trainee has the option to proceed with the course in bite-wise chunks.
Human Focus LMS incorporates record management to maintain training records, progress, and status. This allows trainees to complete the training at their pace.
End of Course Knowledge Test
The asbestos awareness online course has a knowledge test at the end. There is also a short test at the end of each module. Trainees need to achieve 100% in this short test to move to the next module. This in-course test aims to reinforce learning.
The end of course knowledge test appears when trainees complete all modules of the course. This test aims to evaluate the trainee’s learning from this course.
- Human Focus test system is online
- The test includes 15 randomly selected multiple-choice questions
- Trainees need to achieve at least 80% in the course to pass the test and achieve UKATA approved certificate
Asbestos Awareness Certificate
When a trainee passes the end test, he/she instantly gets the UKATA approved asbestos awareness certificate in a downloadable PDF format. The certificate has a validity period of 1 year.
Asbestos Awareness – Background Statistics
The Health and Safety Executive statistics show that annual asbestos deaths have increased over the last 50 years in Great Britain. The massive use of asbestos-containing materials in the past, specifically in the post-WWII building industries, led a steep increase in asbestos-related diseases in the UK over the last decades. The risk of asbestos exposure is now well-known throughout industries. The regulations are in force to control of asbestos exposures as far as practically possible.
Prolonged exposure to asbestos leads to high-risk diseases, including cancers. It takes 15-50 years for asbestos-related diseases to develop therefore many with asbestos-related diseases do not realise they are ill until these diseases are in advanced stages. As these diseases take years to develop; statistics are based on past working conditions. According to HSE figures:
- Asbestos causes 5000 deaths each year, which is more than the number of deaths on the road
- Over 20 tradesman die as a result of past exposure every week
- Five times more cases of mesothelioma in men than in women
- Around 125 million worldwide are at risk of occupational exposure to asbestos
- In 2017, 2,523 mesothelioma deaths were recorded in the UK. The latest predictions show this will continue to be over 2500 deaths per year for the rest of decade
Hence, it is important to create asbestos awareness among workers who might come into contact with asbestos whilst working.
What is Asbestos and How Common is it to be Found in a Building?
Asbestos is a natural mineral composed of flexible fibres resistant to corrosion, heat, and electricity. It is found in buildings that are built before the year 2000. Asbestos fibres pose a high risk to human health, airborne inhalation is the only way to enter the body.
There are mainly three types of asbestos.
- Chrysotile (White Asbestos)
White asbestos was most commonly used in the UK. It can be found in ceilings, walls, roofs, and floors of buildings.
- Crocidolite (Blue Asbestos)
Blue asbestos was used in plastics, pipe insulation, and cement products. After 1970, crocidolite was banned in Great Britain.
- Amosite (Brown Asbestos)
Brown asbestos continued to use in the UK till the 1980s. It can be found in insulating boards, cement sheets and ceiling tiles. Carpenters used to drill through asbestos insulation board and research suggests this was the main factor underlying the UK’s mesothelioma epidemic.
The Control of Asbestos Regulations 2012, requires employers working with asbestos to hold a licence that demonstrates they are meeting at least minimum requirements in the monitoring of the asbestos material.
“Every employer must prevent the exposure to asbestos of any employee employed by that employer as far as is reasonably practicable.” – The Control of Asbestos Regulations 2012
Employers are required to carry out a risk assessment and record the findings before carrying out any work. The risk assessment process must include:
- Identification of asbestos types
- Identification of the level of asbestos exposure
- Aim to reduce any exposure to risk
- Arrangements to monitor asbestos exposure
Where To Buy UKATA Asbestos Awareness Training Course?
If someone is unsure of any training centre and keeps typing “asbestos awareness training near me” on google the best thing for them is to choose Human Focus online e-learning from anywhere in the world. Our system is available around the clock for trainees and helps in time efficiency.
While it may seem like a good idea to go to a search engine and enter the ‘asbestos awareness course near me’ for registration. The search engine will display the many results to choose from as well. However, not everyone has a UKATA approved course with their certification nor does everyone offer a chance of good records management for both reporting and evidence purposes. At Human Focus, you will buy the training course from the website, immediately start learning and maintaining records!
This UKATA asbestos awareness online course, therein, provides a comprehensive understanding of asbestos use and associated dangers. It further explains practical steps to reduce risk of accidental exposure to asbestos and ACMs.
|Study length||Approximately 4 hours|
|Approval body||UKATA approved|
|Target audience||All staff members – awareness|
|Format||Five interactive modules with an end of course test|
|Assessment||Online multiple-choice test|
|Certification||Online certificate issued immediately on course completion|