This online Mental Health First Aid training course provides learners with the knowledge they need to be a mental health first aider within their organisation. Like regular first aid for physical injuries, mental health first aid is designed to provide support to anyone who is suffering from a mental health issue.
A mental health first aider may simply provide someone with an ear to listen when they are feeling stressed. But they also are trained to spot the signs of more severe issues and crises. Having someone trained in Mental Health First Aid within your organisation will go far in supporting a positive culture of mental health, while supporting employee health and wellbeing.
The awarding organisation of this course is ProQual, who is regulated by the Ofqual- Office of Qualifications and Examinations Regulation.
Learning Outcomes of Mental Health First Aid Online Training
Learners that compete this training programme will be able to:
- Understand what is meant by mental health and wellbeing
- Describe the aims of mental health first aid
- Identify what is meant by the mental health continuum
- Understand common mental health conditions and risk factors
- Understand the role of the mental health first aider
- Identify common treatments and interventions
- Identify sources of reliable information and support for first aiders
- Identify strategies to reduce the risk of mental health issues arising
- Identify how to support anyone showing signs or symptoms of a mental health issue
Mental Health First Aid Training Course Content
This online course comprises five modules with a small test at the end of each module. The modules are as follows:
Module 1- What is Meant by Mental Health?
- What is meant by the terms mental health and well being
- The aims of mental health first aid
- How the actions of others can negatively affect individuals with a mental health condition
- What is meant by the mental health continuum?
Module 2- Mental Health Issues & Disorders
- Substance misuse
- Anxiety disorders, including stress, phobias
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Eating disorders
- Personality disorders
- Psychotic disorders
- Risk factors for mental health disorders/crises/for common problems
Module 3- Giving Mental Health First Aid
- Decide on Urgency
- Urgent Actions for Suicide & Self-harm
- Urgent Actions for Panic Attacks, Trauma & Severe Psychotic States
- Non-urgent Warning Signs
- Provide Support
- Encourage Getting Help
- Encourage Good Mental Health Habits
- Immediate Supports
Module 4- Communication Skills
- Communication Aspects
- How You Act
- Listening Skills
- How You Speak
- Communication Barriers
Module 5- Putting Mental Health First Aid into Action – Case Studies
In this module, learners listen to audio of individuals dealing with a mental health issue to practice assessment. They then listen to a first aider speaking with an individual struggling with an issue and gauge their success.
- Case Study 01: Elle
- Case Study 02: Nigel
- Case Study 03: Steph
- Case Study 04: Paula
- Case Study 05: First Aid Interview
The assessment is made up of a theoretical and practical assessment. The theoretical portion involves a test taken online comprised of multiple choice questions. The questions cover content covered in each of the previous five modules.
The practical assessment test requires the learner to watch and evaluate a mental health first aid interview.
|Study length||Approximately 8 hours|
|Target Audience||All Staff Members – Intermediate Level|
|Format||Interactive Video With End of Course Test Questions|
|Assessment||Theory Test and Case Study Submissions|
|Certification||Paper Certificate Posted once Received from ProQual|
|Certification Validity Duration||3 Years|