This online mental health first aid course provides learners with a deep understanding of what mental health is and what are the signs of different mental health crises. It mainly educates trainees about the roles and responsibilities of mental health first aider to maintain the well-being of employees at work.
This NVQ is a level 2 mental health first aid qualification, based on the UK’s national qualification framework or NQF.
The awarding organisation of this course is ProQual, who is regulated by the Ofqual- Office of Qualifications and Examinations Regulation.
There are six modules in this training course with a small test at the end of each module.
Module 1-What is meant by Mental Health?
- What is meant by the terms mental health and well being
- The aims of mental health first aid
- How the actions of others can negatively affect individuals with a mental health condition
- What is meant by the mental health continuum?
Module 2-Mental Health Issues & Disorders
- The main signs and symptoms of mental health disorders/crises/problems, including:
- Substance misuse
- Anxiety disorders, including stress, phobias
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Eating disorders
- Personality disorders
- Psychotic disorders
- Risk factors for mental health disorders/crises/for common problems
Module 3- Giving Mental Health First Aid
- Decide on Urgency
- Urgent Actions for Suicide & Self-harm
- Urgent Actions for Panic Attacks, Trauma & Severe Psychotic States
- Non-urgent Warning Signs
- Provide Support
- Encourage Getting Help
- Encourage Good Mental Health Habits
- Immediate Supports
Module 4-Communication Skills
- Communication Aspects
- How You Act
- Listening Skills
- How You Speak
- Communication Barriers
Module 5- Putting Mental Health First Aid into Action-Case Studies
On completing all the modules of the online mental health first aid course, trainees will undertake a practical assessment test. This test includes watching and evaluating mental health first aid interviews.
Mental health awareness courses offered by Human Focus are as follows