This sickness absence employee awareness training course outlines policies and general guidelines that employees need to understand regarding sickness absence. The course provides participants with information about the potential costs of sickness absence, and also how best to handle communication during sickness absence.
It is estimated that sickness absence costs UK employers £77.5 billion per year. This accounted for nearly 120 million working days in the latest year that data is available. In order to protect themselves the costs and any problems of sickness absence, employees need to understand its policy and procedures.
Nearly every person has experienced sickness absence from work at some point, whether due to common flu, food poisoning, or something more serious. Employers are aware that everyone becomes ill sometimes, and prepare for this certainty.
On the other hand, sickness absence, especially if extended, can slow productivity, increase costs, lengthen projects beyond deadlines, and place a heavier burden on coworkers that are not absent.
This course helps employees understand practical ways for keeping communication open with employers during sickness absence, and encourages employees to work with employers to minimise potential damage done to business operations.
This online training course aims to enable participants to better manage sickness absences in a way that benefits both employees and employers. Participants will not only learn about the consequences of sickness absence but also how to work with employers to optimise the outcomes when it occurs.
This online course includes the following seven sections:
- Facts – About Sickness Absence
- Facts – Costs of Sickness Absence
- Your Role – Contributory Factors
- Your Role – Sickness Absence Procedures
- Your Role – Communication
- Your Role – Research & Medical Evidence
- What Happens on Your Return?
This online course is intended for everyone that works within an organisation, but especially employees.
Participants will be able to:
- Explain key facts about sickness absence and its costs
- Explain various aspects of an employee’s duties during sickness absence, including following procedures, keeping communication open, and providing medical documentation
- Follow correct procedures when returning to work after sickness absence
Choosing Human Focus for this health and safety at work e-learning course offers the following benefits:
- RoSPA assured
- High-quality video content with clear voice-over
- Supports compliance with health and safety regulations
- Short, informative, and interactive content
- Mini interactive quizzes at the end of each section help participants easily learn concepts
A RoSPA assured certificate offered by Human Focus to trainees upon completion of training course
This situation does not usually result in employee termination, but employers who are unable to contact absent employees may choose to take disciplinary action. It is wise to contact an employer as soon as one knows that sickness absence is unavoidable.
Employers can use a variety of tools to ensure that absenteeism remains manageable. Consistent enforcement of constructive attendance and absence policies keeps everyone on the same page. Situations involving absence should be addressed immediately and with empathy by the employer. Incentive programs, such as rewards for consistent attendance or rewards for preventive care measures, can give employees concrete reasons to remain cooperative.
Employers should make sure to report the injury correctly according to both internal and external health and safety regulations, especially if the injury can result in a legal claim. Management training should work to enable managers to participate in the revision of company policy and procedures to avoid having similar injuries occur with other employees.